Saturday, April 6, 2013

First foster kittens of the season

I always foster kittens during the spring, been doing it for 13 years now!

 My mom works at a Convalescent hospital, and there is a huge colony of feral cats that live there. Ive trapped a few and gotten them spayed/neutered. Some Visitors found a litter of kittens in the front bushes and were carrying them around the building and taking pictures of them. My mom collected them all, and called me. I started bottle feeding (An every 2 hour commitment!), but I luckily was able to find a mother cat with kittens the same age who needed a place to go so I took her and her 5 kittens in.
Here is a picture I took of the 6 kittens from my mom's work place:
      There are 3 boys, and 3 girls!


And one of my mom's dachshunds, Jannah, is very maternal and loves to help me with bottle babies:





And this is a picture of the mama cat and her 5 kittens before I got them:

I checked their sexes, but forgot to write it down and now I don't want to bother them! But I think there were 3 girls and 2 boys

When I first brought her in, I kept her babies separate and let her feed mine because they were very hungry! They were not eating the kitten formula very well:
I am having to do rotations with them because now she is nursing 11 kittens and that is a LOT for one mama to nurse! So to make sure all are being fed during the day I will be letting half of them nurse for a period of time, and then putting the other half in and letting them take turns. And then at night they can all stay in.










No comments:

Post a Comment